Some (Favorite) Things from the Week (2.4.18)

Sunday, February 11, 2018

I spent my Saturday night under a blanket surrounded by my books, sitting next to my husband by a cozy fire with my dog sleeping at my feet. One might say that we had a very hyggelig Saturday night. I learned this word from The Little Book of Hygge, and it basically means we had a delightfully cozy evening at home. And it was wonderful.

As I sat there listening to the roaring fire, it felt like the perfect time to share and reflect on some things from the week that I found interesting, enjoyed, and learned.

Some links that caught my attention...

How I Created Rituals in January (I love the part about focusing on the joy of the ritual.)

9 Time Habits That Will Make You Super Productive in 2018 (I like the "afternoon tea" idea.)

Career Paths (This is a fun way to categorize resumes, but it made me think, "Which one paints the picture of a fuller life?" It might not actually be the one that looks like the "best.")

What's the Best Parenting Style to Raise a Successful Child (I found this very interesting, but I also think there are many variations of the recommended style, and I would love to read more about these.)

The Gift of the Good Enough Mother (A great reminder that imperfection can even be beautiful in motherhood.)

Slamdunk Birthday Presents for Kids (This is an older post, but a great one. I was excited to see the ukulele on the list. Here's the ukulele we bought for our Sweet E.)

The 5 Love Languages Quiz (I know I am totally late to this party, but I finally took the quiz, and so did my husband, and now I can't wait to read the book. P.S. My love language is Quality Time.)

4 Tips for Writing to the Right Audience (Hint: the answer is simple, but so true: Write for yourself.)

4 Ways for Writers to Become Better Readers (This is a great reminder that reading is such a powerful tool for writing. It makes me want to read even more.)

Which Jane Austen Novel Should I Read First (I was happy to see that what I am reading now is recommended for the first book.)

16 Books to Cozy Up with this Winter (I love the idea of reading with the season...and being cozy.)

Some Instagram posts I love...

This made me laugh.

This is really cool.

This is such a fun idea for Valentines.

This is my favorite Happy Imperfectionist photo for the week.

This is my favorite Happy Imperfectionist photo from January. (Because I forgot to include this in Some Things from January, and this may actually be one of my all-time favorite photos.)

Something I am reading...

I shared several books that I am reading in Some Things from January, but I did forget to mention one more. Every day (preferably in the morning), I read a passage from The Book of Awakening. It is a beautiful book filled with daily messages that speak to your soul. Each passage begins with a date and so there is a passage for every day of the year. This will be my third year reading this book, and I hope this will be my first year that I read it consistently throughout the entire year. I shared some of my favorite excerpts (so far) in my Snow Day post.

Something (else) I want to read...

In addition to The Five Love Languages, another book sparked my interest: The Snow Child. This book was not on my radar, but it keeps coming up in posts that I am reading (including Modern Mrs. Darcy's 16 Books to Cozy Up This Winter noted above) and Instagram posts like this one. When I was browsing the bookstore the other day, I picked up the book and read the first couple of pages, and now I am craving this book...especially on these snowy days.

Something I am trying (again)...

I am trying to pick up another habit that I left behind last year...morning pages. This is a practice from The Artist's Way. Morning pages require you to write three handwritten pages of whatever is running through your mind first thing in the morning. You are basically recording your stream of consciousness...as thoughts come up in your mind, you write them down, no matter what they are. It is a practice to help you clear your mind and tap into your creativity. I have had some interesting things come up for me when I do this consistently, so I am trying it again.

Something I loving...

As I mentioned here, I am doing yoga again. I forgot how good yoga is not only for my body, but for my mind. I don't want to give this up again.

Something fun...

On Thursday, I took a day to recharge. It was a day filled with lovely things that either relaxed me or brought me joy. I started my day at a bookstore and just browsed the shelves (I could do this for hours every week). After that, I had my first pedicure in a year. Clearly, I am not one who typically makes time for something like this (I never like to spend the extra money), but it was a birthday gift, so I went...and it was wonderful. After the appointment, I went home, drank a cup of tea, and cuddled under a blanket while reading and writing (pure bliss!). In the evening, I went to a yoga class (more bliss!). It was a day of self-indulgence, and it felt incredible.

Something I learned...

As I wrote in my Snow Day post, slowing down is good for the soul. I guess between the snow day and my "recharge" day, I slowed down quite a bit. Of course, this meant catching up on work, but after some rest, I felt more relaxed, and I probably ended up being even more productive. Sometimes, slowing down is the key to moving forward.

***

Yes, slowing down has been my teacher lately. It is so simple, but so hard to do sometimes. Slowing down may be the greatest gift I can give to my myself and to my soul. I remember who I am when I slow down, and the best part of all...I like who I am in these moments.

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.