Some Things from January

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

I can hardly believe that it is the beginning of February. We have one month down in 2018 already. Time just goes so fast. Too fast.

When I started writing again at the beginning of the month, I planned on doing my own version of weekly recaps on some things that I experience from books and blogs that I read to things that I am doing, trying, and learning. Basically, I just wanted to take a moment to reflect and share what has come up for me. Because I never got around to it, I am going to highlight some things that have filled my days in January.

Something that I read...

I recently finished Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, and I loved it. If you are looking for a book that is filled with intriguing characters and a plot that is a bit mysterious, then this books is for you. I hope to write more about this book in a future post.

Some books that I am reading now...

I am currently reading several non-fiction books simply because I can't decide on just one (there are just too many good books to read!). Which book I pick up really depends on what I am in the mood for in that moment. These books include: The Happiness Project, The Four Tendencies, Present Over PerfectBraving the Wilderness, and My Friend Fear. I plan to write more about these books as well, so all I will say for now is that I am loving each book, and they are all giving me exactly what I need in this moment.

As for fiction, I just started reading Pride and Prejudice. Can you believe I never read it before? I downloaded it for free from my iBooks app, and I have been reading about a chapter or two a day on my iPad. Would you also believe that this is my first time reading an e-book? So many firsts for me in this new year! I am really enjoying it, and as a person who loves buying books, I am very tempted to buy and read the beautiful hardback. I need more classics in my personal library.

Something I want to read...

With everything going on in my life this past month, I stumbled upon a book that I never heard of, but one that I am dying to read: One and Only: The Freedom of Having an Only Child and the Joy of Being One. I am an only child, and it is possible that my daughter may be an only child as well, so this book sounds just right for me right now.

Some great blog posts that caught my attention...

I read many posts worth sharing including:

The Little Things I do that Feel Like Abundant Living (I need to integrate these tips into my life!)

New Year's Resolutions (these are fantastic!)

Use the Four Tendencies to Tackle Your Resolutions (Or Not) (this is a helpful outlook in making and keeping resolutions!)

On Having an Only Child and Why One Child Works for Me (these posts discuss a topic that is on my mind a lot these days)

I Will Not Say 'Yes' When My Heart Says 'No' - (this is great advice for creating and maintaining habits - plus I found another book I want to read:  Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More)
   
Something that I read and loved...

I love A Cup of Jo. This was the very first blog I started following, and it is still one of my favorites. "An Update On my Twin Sister" is such a beautiful post to read. This is another reminder that love and gratitude are everything.

Something I have been enjoying...

I have another confession: I just started listening to podcasts a few months ago. (I know, where have I been, right?) I didn't realize what a wonderful treat this is for me when I am driving. My three original favorites are Happier, What Should I Read Next, and The Lazy Genius. (These are also some of my favorite blogs!) It was when I was listening to Happier that I learned of a another podcast, listened to it, and loved it! By the Book is a hilarious podcast that follows two women as they "live by the book" for two weeks from a self-help book they choose. I have listened to three episodes already, and I love it.

Something I am doing...

In my last post, I mentioned that I am participating in a 40-Day Program at my local yoga studio. As a result, I have been spending quite a bit of time reflecting and journaling, and I am also bringing yoga back into my life, which has been wonderful. I missed yoga terribly, and I didn't realize it until now. Some people participate in this program to increase their physical strength or improve their eating habits. For me, I am doing it for the self-inquiry and personal reflection, and it is really helping me to prioritize my life and focus on my well-being. The program is grounded in Baron Baptiste's 40-Days to Personal Revolution. My program does not look exactly like this, but it is definitely rooted in the laws and principles outlined in this book. One day some day, I hope to complete this full program and maybe even attend a Level One Baptiste Training.

Something I am trying...

As part of the 40-Day Program, daily meditation is a critical element. Meditation has always been so hard for me. My mind is too darn busy. I am too anxious and restless. Those are my excuses anyway. But I am trying, and I want to keep trying because peace and quiet is good for me, and I need more peace and more quiet in my life.

Something that I bought...

I don't buy things for myself very often (unless it is a book, of course!), but I desperately needed a new winter coat. Not a fancy, pretty wool winter coat, but one that can endure snow and freezing temperatures. To kick off the New Year, I found this coat and I love it. I was lucky enough to get it during a big New Year sale. It actually keeps me warm, and I love that it is longer than many of my jackets. It also tapers in at the waist, so I still feel somewhat put together when I am wearing this over a dressy outfit. One of the reasons why I dislike the winter so much is that I hate being cold! A warm coat makes a big difference. 

Something that I love...

I love Bookstagram! I had no idea - until I started listening to What Should I Read Next - that there is an entire community of book lovers on Instagram who share books they are reading in beautiful photographs. I love this...and it is great way for me to create a visual reading list. I love the collections I am building. I hope to contribute more of my own photographs. It is also worth noting that I just love Instagram in general. Maybe it is just the people who I follow, but this seems to be the kindest social media platform out there.

Something special about this month...

January is our family's birthday month. All three of us have January birthdays, and although it makes for a busy (and sometimes tiring) month right after the busy holiday season, there is something that feels so special about the three of us celebrating our birthdays in January. It's like another unique connection that the three of us share.

***

January has been quite a month for me. I have felt many emotions as I tried my best to navigate through a hard time in my life. But in spite of sadness, I still felt joy, love, and such deep gratitude for all that I have in my life.

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.